Want to help RottenEggs? Do your part and share this site
Home All Forums Q&a Forum Thread

To the Men of Re

• Edit
  • Thread created by:
  • 10 posts
  • ( 5 votes )
Show More

I AM a female YES, but i was raised by a father who grew up in detroit Michigan when the auto industry was at the top of the pile so to speak. He worked for Ford on the assembly lines building the same classic cars that are now collector items (one of which i own). so as a child, i watched him, learned and helped him fix HIS car in my moms front drive way. 

So my question is: is there ANYONE on this website thats knowledgable about cars BESIDES ME?? lol.

Table of Contents
Add to WATCHBOARD
Flip Sort: Most Recent
Post a new Message
Posted 9 years ago, Nov 08, 2011

There are several on this site, many of whom probably know more than me, but I do OK.  I'll let them come forward and self-identify.  Since you're directing your question to the men on Rotteneggs, I take it that means automobiles aren't a subject women pursue...?

I never pursued automotive repair as a career, but, after being chewed up and spit out from every job I've had, sometimes I wish I'd taken a different career path.

As a lad, I destroyed every toy I owned, until I found I had some aptitude for figuring out how they worked.  Then I could fix stuff around the house, as my mother didn't have money to have them fixed or replaced.  Around the onset of puberty, with little more than a Haynes or similar repair manual for guidance, I set my sights on the family car, which later became mine.  That was a Granada, which was a Falcon from 15 years earlier repackaged for 1981.

So when buying a car now, I consider the availability of repair parts and ease of access for perfoeming repairs.  Eventually the car becomes an antique, and the parts become rare, but that shouldn't happen for 25 years or so.  That strategy got me 17 years of use from my Ranger, which would still be on the road if it were registered in Ohio or Michigan, two places that don't do annual safety inspections.  I'll give you the list of stuff I've fixed if you like.

Posted 9 years ago, Nov 08, 2011

Thats interesting. Say what cars have you owned over the years?

My first car was a 91 volvo, 740 Turbo: very good car but ended up at the junk yard a few years later. BUT that thing made it to one hundred and 90 thousand miles! and i even got it a badge awarded to me from Volvo! (which i still have btw = ) )

Second car, was a 1984 volvo wagon: another very safe car i used just to get to work and back right after high school but before college, i learned to drive a stick with that car so ill always keep that soccer mom piece of crap in my heart. For this car i was given a 200,000 mile badge! which i also still have along wth its service key. ; )

Third car: A 91 Jaguar, sovreign. (a craigslist special) bought for college transportation. Was junked a couple years later after i got tired of putting up with its endless problems. one of which, was the front door handles not working forcing me to leave the back doors unlocked so that i could access the front doors from the inside (an issue we DID know about but thought it would be easy to fix) another issue, being that there was no radio inside the car, so we bought a whole new system for it which for some reason the folks at Best Buy could get to work. THEN it had electrical issues like mad, which i then discovered from other jag owners that your "supposed to have two jags, one for the shop and another to drive" lol then i never bought another jag after that.

After the jag, i bought my Hearse, lovingly named "momma cab" because the thing was bigger then a wagon, and after i restred it, was going to have a limo style seating set up in the back allowing me to carry up to ten people where the casket bay was. This never happened. I went and got myself knocked up (although it was planned) and the hormones going insane triggered me to have seizures and unable to drive AND bed bound. I still have the hearse (a lovely halloween touch btw) lol. but she is now up for sale.

The 64 galaxie 500, was a gift from Mister Garg for "giving him a child and being able to live thru the delivery" hahaa ; )  fully restored, but needs seat belts in the back! (this model came out beore seat belts were required in back)

Each one of these cars i took care of myself and did almost all preventative maintance. ; )

THATS also how i learned to fix cars ya'll

Replying to who posted on Nov 08,2011 07:00 pm (View original message)
There are several on this site, many of whom probably know more than me, but I do OK.  I'll let them come forward and self-identify.  Since you're directing your question to the men on Rotteneggs, I take it that means automobiles aren't a subject women pursue...? I never pursued automotive repair as a career, but, after being chewed up and spit out from every job I've had, sometimes I wish I'd taken a different career path. As a lad, I destroyed every toy I owned, until I found I had some aptitude for figuring out how they worked.  Then I could fix stuff around the house, as my mother didn't have money to have them fixed or replaced.  Around the onset of puberty, with little more than a Haynes or similar repair manual for guidance, I set my sights on the family car, which later became mine.  That was a Granada, which was a Falcon from 15 years earlier repackaged for 1981. So when buying a car now, I consider the availability ...
Posted 9 years ago, Nov 09, 2011

OK, we'll start with the 1981 Granada, which looked a lot like this:

Makin' your way in the world today takes everything you've got...

Unlike this car, mine had a vinyl roof, which never stood a chance in the Texas heat.  The dashboard had burned to a crisp too.  Mom bought it used in 1983, citing the smooth-running 200 cu. in. inline 6 engine.  Readers in the UK and Australia should remember the Granada sold in the United States is not the one they remember.  The similar Fairmont was used in the bicycle chase scene in E.T.

I was about 12 when the transmission wouldn't shift properly.  Without knowing what I was doing, I heard the whistling sound of some loose vacuum tubes, and solved the problem by reconnecting them.  Later, I amused my friends by disconnecting the tube used by some dampers in the air conditioner, put one of their cigarettes in it, and had the car take a long drag on it.

Getting my drivers license with this car was an adventure in itself.  At that time in Texas, the last step is a road test, conducted on actual city streets.  The Department of Public Safety trooper first performs a brief safety inspection, standing in front of the car and gesturing me to turn the headlights on and off, step on the brake pedal, then turn on each turn signel.  He repeatedly gestured for the left signal, which never lit in the front.  The bulb, which had been there since leaving the factory in Chicago, had burned out.  This was all happening before school, and I wanted to get the test out of the way.  So I bought a replacement bulb and returned to the DPS office, which happened to be across the street from my school.  When I reached behind the front bumper to remove the bulb socket, it disintegrated in my hand.  I attempted to repair it with tape.  So I had to postpone the drivers exam for another day.

To my relief, I could buy a universal bulb socket, which I installed the next day.  I was satisfied that the new bulb was lit, so I went back for another crack at the drivers test.  Again, the DPS trooper gestured me to turn on the signals.  This time, the left signal was lit, but would not flash when the headlights were lit.  It turned out I had the two connections crossed.  The trooper seemed hurried, and asked if I couild take the exam in a different vehicle.  We used my mother's new 1991 Plymouth Voyager, which is still used as a daily driver today.  I aced the test.

I had installed 12" subwoofers in the trunk, hidden from the view of theives.  At some point, I installed a hidden switch under the dashboard near my left knee so I could turn them off, as one particular friend annoyed the shit out of me by constantly turning up the bass, distorting the sound from the other speakers.  I also removed the door handles from the inside of the rear doors, as they wore out.  I intended to replace them, but never got around to it, as I still knew how to open the doors without using the handles.  Still, people were startled to see they were missing, wondering how they were going to escape the Granada.  I could open the trunk from the inside, too.

I guess the most spectacular failure was the universal joint, which I figured out how to replace.  But I needed a tow truck.

Similarly, there was nearly 30 degrees of free play in the steering wheel.  I thought I'd show off to my friends by pretending to steer the car into oncoming traffic, into the path of a police cruiser.  The officer made a U-turn and stopped me, again in front of my school.  He wasn't pleased one bit with my practical joke, and demanded I bring my license and registration to meet him behind my car, where his cruiser was idled.

"I guess you think that was reeeaaal cute what you did back there?!"

I played dumb.  "What?"

"What do you mean, what?!"  The four other schmucks in my car could hear that one.  At least one friend was choking back laughter.

I explained the steering was loose, and no one was in any danger.  But the cop wasn't convinced, accusing me of doing such a maneuver anytime I saw a police officer.  I suppose he went into his cruier, ordering me to remain standing in place, to see if I had any outstanding warrants.  He then walked to my Granada, reached through the open window, and checked the play in the steering wheel himself, with a carload of 'tards watching in doe-eyed wonder.

I deduced the cop was having a bad day, and meeting me made it worse, but he calmed down a bit.  He told me to fix the car, and he would stop me if he ever saw me again, and would condemn the car if it weren't fixed.  I retuned to the Granada, and he returned my drivers license.  "Get it fixed!" were his parting words.  When he left, my passenger said, "Gee, it's a good thing that cop didn't find your stash you usually keep under the seat!", perhaps loud enough for the cop to hear him.

I did fix the car that weekend.  It needed a coupler, which the parts guy at the junkyard called a "rag joint, as opposed to a marijuana joint!"  It's a doughnut-shaped piece of rubber, about 1/4" thick, that goes between two lengths of shaft in the steering mechanism.  I never saw the cop again, though.

More on the 1991 Voyager, the 1989 Ranger, and the 2005 Vibe later.

Posted 9 years ago, Nov 09, 2011

I work on cars and stuff too, still rebuilding a 1978 Datsun pick up truck atm, all that's left to do is install the drive shaft and free up the clutch (it's stuck).

I would have to say that Dodge is the A#1 mechanic on RE, he has helped me many times with problems.

Posted 9 years ago, Nov 10, 2011

Damn a 78? and a DATSON?!? hahaha wtf man!? whats so special about a Datson??

Guess i cant say shite though....i still have my 77 hearse...sonofabitch...the things basically just a big black U-HAUL now.....lol

Replying to who posted on Nov 09,2011 04:41 pm (View original message)
I work on cars and stuff too, still rebuilding a 1978 Datsun pick up truck atm, all that's left to do is install the drive shaft and free up the clutch (it's stuck). I would have to say that Dodge is the A#1 mechanic on RE, he has helped me many times with problems.
Posted 9 years ago, Nov 11, 2011

The Datsun is a cool little truck, I'm goning to make this one into a "flat bed"

cool

Replying to who posted on Nov 10,2011 09:45 pm (View original message)
Damn a 78? and a DATSON?!? hahaha wtf man!? whats so special about a Datson??   Guess i cant say shite though....i still have my 77 hearse...sonofabitch...the things basically just a big black U-HAUL now.....lol     Replying to {replyto:0934be00-09da-11e1-825a-eb8d7bebf0f2_af589e80-0b34-11e1-985f-9fcf92e8d67f}
Posted 9 years ago, Nov 25, 2011

Its all good man.....whatever gets you off. ; )

Replying to who posted on Nov 11,2011 06:41 am (View original message)
The Datsun is a cool little truck, I'm goning to make this one into a "flat bed"   Replying to {replyto:0934be00-09da-11e1-825a-eb8d7bebf0f2_51c6a420-0c28-11e1-b241-5311862b4189}
Posted 9 years ago, Nov 26, 2011

I don't own a car.

I don't have a drivers license.

Both of which are going to change after New Years.

Posted 9 years ago, Nov 26, 2011

good for you man, set those goals. driving is fun...

Replying to who posted on Nov 26,2011 01:21 am (View original message)
I don't own a car. I don't have a drivers license.   Both of which are going to change after New Years.
Show More